08th January 2016
In light of the urgency of adequately planning for the country’s participation in the Summer Olympics scheduled for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in August 2016, a majority of the Executive of the National Olympic Committee ("NOC'') at a meeting held at the SIr Vivian Richard Stadium on the 8th day of January, 2016 decided that the primary focus at this stage must be on the preparation of the athletes and the team to the Games.
The majority of the Executive also agreed the following:
- To call for cessation of hostilities by Executive Members of the NOC in the media.
- To apply the Constitution of the NOC in full to ensure the proper performance of all officers in their respective portfolios.
- To convene such ordinary meetings of the Executive as may be deemed necessary to map the way forward for the Games and the NOC’s mandate.
- To convene a General Meeting of the NOC at the earliest opportunity.
- To engage KAW Management Services to perform a Management and Corporate Governance Audit of the NOC on terms to be settled between the Executive and the contractor.
- To convene a Extra-ordinary Meeting of the Executive for the express purpose of thoroughly reviewing with the Executive the ABOA’s Articles of Incorporation and By Laws incorporated under the Companies Act of Antigua and Barbuda.
The president, the Hon. E.P. Chet Greene endorsed the call for cessation of hostilities by executive members and agreed to refrain from commenting on the issues under consideration by the NOC in the media. He reiterated his earlier public declaration not to contest the NOC elections in 2017.
The meeting was concluded with a unanimous expression of confidence in the continued leadership of the President.